The reformation wall close to the elegant Place de Neuve, in an exceptionally beautiful park, Europe’s most important protestant reformers are honoured with four giant statues, a constant reminder of Geneva’s important role in the history of religions.
The giant wall (325 feet long, 30 feet high) dominates the large Parc des Bastions and centers on 15-foot-tall statues of four Geneva luminaries.
The Reformation Wall is in the grounds of the University of Geneva, which was founded by John Calvin, and was built to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Calvin's birth and the 350th anniversary of the university's establishment.
It is built into the old city walls of Geneva, and the monument's location there is designed to represent the fortifications, and therefore the city of Geneva's, integral importance to the Reformation.
The four Genevan reformers are flanked by smaller statues of major Protestant figures, bas-reliefs, and inscriptions. One of the reliefs shows Roger Williams and the pilgrim fathers praying on the deck of the Mayflower; another features the 1689 presentation of the Bill of Rights to the King William of Orange by the English Parliament.
At the top of the monument the words "Post Tenebras Lux," are Latin for "After the darkness, light."
Open all year long